Labour Organization was set up in Tripura in 1951 under one Labour Officer. This was upgraded to Labour Directorate in 1965 under the control of Chief Labour Officer. The Labour Commissioner started functioning as Head of Department since 1978. Subsequently, in 1982 the Organization of Factories and Boilers was separated from the Labour Directorate
Labour Directorate is responsible for –
- Prevention, investigation and settlement of industrial disputes in the State
- Enforcement of awards and settlements
- Implementation of Labour Laws in industries and establishments in respect of which the State Government is the appropriate Government
- Fixation and revision of minimum rates of wages in schedule employments
- Running welfare activities meant for worker.
- Various online Registrations and Licence is being issued through SWAAGAT Portal( https://swaagat.tripura.gov.in/(link is external))